It's no secret that I love pasta bakes and Italian food! What I don't love are the calories and fats that come along with it... A few weeks ago, I got to thinking about one of my favorite dishes, Chicken Florentine, and ways to make it healthy. Here's what I came up with:
PS: This dish ROCKS! You're welcome ;)
Here's What You'll Need:
- 16 oz. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast (Low Fat & Low Sodium Canned Chicken Works too!)
- 6 oz. Frozen Spinach, Thawed - Be Sure to Squeeze the Spinach to Remove as Much Liquid as Possible.
- 2-3 Large Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 14.5 oz. Can of Salt-Free & Low Fat Chicken Broth
- 1 Tsp. Nutmeg
- 2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tbsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 Cup Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
- 6 oz. Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 8oz. Whole Grain Pasta - Spirals are my Fave, but Bow Tie Pasta Works Great too!
- To begin, cube up your chicken breast into bite sized pieces (skip this step if you opted for canned chicken). Once cubed to perfection, cook the chicken in a skillet. While you’re doing that, cook your pasta according to the package instructions.
- In a separate bowl, you’ll combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and spinach. Mix everything up until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add whole wheat flour to pot, and whisk for 30-seconds.
- After whisking, add in your chicken broth, and stir until thickened – usually between 2-3 minutes. Then, you can add in your lemon juice, garlic, and seasonings (nutmeg, pepper, Italian seasoning, and oregano). Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Remove from heat, then add the blended cheese mixture from step 2, as well as the cooked and cubed chicken, and boiled pasta.
- Stir everything to ensure the noodles and chicken are evenly coated.
- Transfer everything to a greased 9x13 casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
Find more healthy recipes, workouts, and fun fitness tips on my Nutrish & Delish Pinterest board!